Monday, June 30, 2014

Coffee ice cream

I tried making coffee ice cream once before, using The Perfect Scoop's recipe, which had me soaking coffee beans in hot milk for an hour. The result was too bitter for me, so I vowed to try again.

This time, I used Emeril Lagasse's coffee ice cream recipe. It has a custard base, similar to the recipe in TPS, but it makes a larger amount of ice cream. It called for 6 large egg yolks, but all we had were jumbo eggs, so I used 5 jumbo egg yolks. It also called for instant coffee, rather than coffee beans. I used nearly 5 little packets of Starbucks VIA Ready Brew.

It expired April 2013, but still tasted good.

The resulting mix was darker brown than the steeped coffee bean version.

The mix before adding in the last cup of cream.

Churning took about half an hour, which is what I expected for this larger than usual batch. It filled our ice cream container to the top.

The result was delicious, either plain or with roasted almond slivers. I'm sure chocolate sauce would be good, too.

Yum

Strangely, the texture seemed a little icier and less smooth than usual. It might just be because the proportions were different than usual, or perhaps there's something about instant coffee that encourages iciness.

Next time I might try the usual TPS ice cream recipe with 1-1/2 Tbsp of instant coffee and perhaps a few drops of vanilla.

No comments:

Post a Comment