Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Double sourdough and sesame bread

Last weekend, recovering from 1000+ miles of driving over 3 days, I made my two standby breads: Josey Baker's sourdough and Beth Hensperger's toasted sesame. I accidentally doubled the water in the JB pre-ferment, so I turned it into a double batch (something I'd been wanting to try anyway). The first half I turned into the usual boule; with the second I made a more rectangular loaf.

The boule turned out very pretty.


The crust didn't sing this time, but it looked good to me.

The white stuff is rice flour

There were a few large holes toward the top, but otherwise I was happy with the texture.

Why so holey?

Some bread and butter ended up being my lunch.

Lunch

Here are the details of the timing:
  • I took the sourdough starter out of the fridge as soon as we got home Friday, shortly after noon. I did 2 refreshes (one immediately, and another at 11 pm or so).
  • The next morning, I mixed the dough, finishing at 11:30.
  • I was under time constraints, so instead of letting the dough rise at cool room temperature, I used the proofing mode of my oven for the "kneading" part (it's really stretching + time, not kneading).
  • I stretched the dough at 11:55, 12:10, 12:25, and 12:40. I then left it out until 4:40, when I returned home and put it in the fridge before leaving the house again.
  • At 6 p.m. the dough was looking pretty inflated, so I punched it down and put it back in the fridge before leaving the house yet again.
  • At 2:30 a.m. I took out half the dough and shaped it into a boule, using an unlined, rice-floured basket. I refrigerated it with plastic wrap on top.
  • The next morning, I preheated the oven and baking stone for 45 minutes.
  • At 11:10, I started baking the boule, using the usual methods. (Parchment paper, slash across the top, pan on top for the first 20 minutes.)
Here's a picture of the boule before and after the final rise:

Before the final rise

After the final rise

I used the same percentage of salt as usual. Notes:
  • The total amount of salt for the double batch was 11g (a little under 2 tsp).
  • This time I used coarse sea salt instead of fine.
I didn't keep detailed notes about the second loaf. I think I shaped it Tuesday night, leaving instructions so Nathan could bake it the next day.

Perhaps a bit overbaked
Nate slashed it nicely and baked it in the usual way, although for longer than usual. (Fortunately, I happened to call and ask him if it was out of the oven yet.)

Nice crust
I noticed no ill effects from keeping the dough around much longer than usual.

The crumb
We ate it all up, over the next few days.

The toasted sesame bread was its usual good self, although we didn't finish even half of it before it got moldy. Oops. Notes:
  • I used mostly white whole wheat flour. I didn't notice any difference.
  • The sesame seeds weren't as well integrated this time; when I took out the bread, some sesame crusts fell out (yum!). I'd almost forgotten the seeds, and then dumped them along the sides. Perhaps the Zo doesn't mix things along the sides as well as things at either end. Despite the missing seeds, the bread still tasted the same. Perhaps these seeds (Terrasoul Superfoods organic unhulled sesame seeds) are more strongly flavored than the ones I'd been using (Bob's Red Mill unhulled, or regular hulled seeds in spice jars). Or perhaps the oil adds much of the sesame flavor.
  • I need to remember to freeze a few slices after a couple of days, so it doesn't go to waste.

No comments:

Post a Comment